The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

What firearms are on your long list?

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

What firearms are on your long list? Empty What firearms are on your long list?

Post by Cornmastah Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:13 am

We've talked about various firearms that are on the "short list," but haven't really talked about the "long list" guns.  These are the guns that you want to get "SOMEDAY."

A few of mine, I will limit it to 5 although I have many more (they are not in any sort of order):

1. FAL (no real reason other than I have always kind of wanted one, they are reliable, durable, etc...)

2. .50 BMG or .338 Lapua (.50 because it's the big FIFTY, .338 Lapua because it is more reasonable, ie: no new press, cheaper ammo, etc...)

3. Big Horn Armory 500 Magnum Custom Lever Action (because it is a beautiful gun and looks like loads of fun--also shares ammo with my revolver)

4. M1A (always kind of wanted one, but always seem to talk myself out of it)

5. Colt Python or Anaconda (beautiful, stylish, and smooth)
    Doc Wesson
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

What firearms are on your long list? Empty Re: What firearms are on your long list?

Post by Doc Wesson Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 am

MMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... nice dreams!
    This sounds like a good show topic
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

What firearms are on your long list? Empty Re: What firearms are on your long list?

Post by Devereaux Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:29 am

I have a couple of those on your list. I have a FAL made by DSA. I also have a M14 built by Clint Fowler. It is heavy, and awful accurate!

I think if I made a list of wanna-be's, it might include:

- Socom 16. Nifty short M14, with composite stock, place for a forward optic (Scout Rifle) and small magazine, but you could put a big one on if you wish.

- Stan Chen 1911.

- Nesika based 1,000 yd varmint rifle. It obviously would have to be a custom build. Not fixed on calibre but I would expect something in the 6-7mm range as that's the best BC bullets.

- Something nice from Turnbull. I have USFA SAA's and they have Turnbull case colouring frames.

- Model 29. Probably a 6" barrel, but I suspect I would take a 4" also. Don't really like the longer ones even though they give better bullet performance.

- Nighthawk 1911. Probably a government length. Not fancy, just practical. They also make a short barreled 1911, sort of an Officers length barrel. But while I saw one of theirs and it was beautiful, I am more leery of short 1911's.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:39 am

I assume this list should be our Dream Team firearms, and not the future "needs" buys, like a CCW pistol(s) or a .308 EBR.

1) SW1911 Series E with Performance Center sights and trigger
    2) M1903A3 collectable/ shooter
    3) Winchester 1886 Extra Light Takedown in .45 By God 70. Miroku manufacture
    4) A fine Over/Under competition shotgun, like the Beretta
    5) CZ 455 Competition Combo in 22LR/ 22Mag/ 17HMR
    6) Browning High Power or its progeny: the CZ75
    7) STI or Springfield 6" 1911

Caution: Liable to change by the minute second

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:53 am

Come visit me CF when you have made the move to MO. It's not a bad drive to Chi-town.

I have one of those take-down 1886's - even in the "right" calibre.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:20 pm

Deal, Dev.

However, the move to St Looney is being reexamined. With the Defense draw-down, the wifey's job has gone "iffy". We are considering a fresh start in the Houston, TX area.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Man, this is where I go when I need to go to a mental "happy place".

1. Chiappa "Alaskan" take-down 44 mag lever action carbine. The whole take-down aspect is very appealing to me and everything I've read says it's a very solid rifle.

2. .50 BMG. Nothing says American individual liberty like a .50 BMG.

3. S&W Model 15, but I want one like the model Ave. Joe described in one of the shows, buttery smooth trigger worked on by a police armorer who had been working on k-frame triggers for decades.

4. Serbu Super Shorty 12 Gauge 870. Ok, ok, I am fully aware this isn't anywhere near practical, but I've always wanted a super short shotgun. Think it would be a lot of fun at the range and impromptu can blasting with family and friends.

5. Colt Python - I would prefer one with a 6 inch barrel. The Holy Grail for wheelgun fans. Honestly, I'm a little scared to own one, though. I'd have a constant moral dilemma of whether to shoot it or not.

6. Winchester 1873 or clone. Always loved these rifles, just never got around to getting one. An 1866 would also suffice.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:43 pm

I once had a Model 15 with a target hammer and trigger. REALLY nice wheelie. But I sold it because it sat in my safe for many years unfired. Stupid. We all do these things from time to time.

73's aren't all that great. They are only interesting if you shoot cowboy or you want the range of Winchester lever guns. So I have a 66, 73, 86, 92, 94, & 95 (and a 97, which admittedly isn't a rifle, but it is THE KOOLEST PUMP in existence. Love the disconnect not being there.). The 86 & 92 are Jap Winchester, perhaps better than real Winchesters. The 95 is a Browning - in .30-'06. They only made that in 2 calibres and I can't remember the other one, but it wasn't one I would want. That 95 is actually a heck of a rifle. It is a lot prettier in person that from the pictures.

?Isn't there someone else that makes an Alaskan take-down, designed for bush pilots. It is in some BIG calibre.

If you ever get a take-down, you will want more. I have them in 1886, a .22, and the 97
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:55 pm

SW1911 E-Series

I'm an unabashed SW1911 fanboy. The Series E is highest on my "Damn Nice to Have" list. This article is largely a puff-piece, but it does hit a lot of the features I find attractive. However, the author only devotes one small paragraph to the external extractor, the feature I believe sets this gun apart from the rest.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:07 am