The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Front Sight Firearms Training Institute

AChristianMarksman
    AChristianMarksman
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Front Sight Firearms Training Institute Empty Front Sight Firearms Training Institute

Post by AChristianMarksman Thu May 08, 2014 5:06 pm

Hello All
    I just returned from my second Front Sight 4 day defensive handgun course. It was hard but I earned distinguished graduate level on the Skills Evaluation Very Happy  and can now go to their advance courses. The training is different from what I teach others, but I understand the reason for the style the use it works for the masses, it is just not practical based on my studies of real world defensive shootings. Their training is based on the Weaver Stance, it is a very stable and accurate technique, but I have not seen a person get into a Weaver Stance in a gunfight.
    Has anyone else been to Front Sight?
    What are the opinions out there about the Weaver Stance?
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Front Sight Firearms Training Institute Empty Re: Front Sight Firearms Training Institute

Post by Devereaux Sun May 11, 2014 9:40 am

Good question, ACM. Have not been to Front Sight, but interestingly, my son just this week suggested the two of us go this fall for one of their courses.

You pick the two most commonly known stances. I don't really know which is more common, but can say that IMO if you wear body armor, you will shoot isosceles, but Weaver may make more tactical sense for those without armor as it presents less target to the opponent.

I don't know how Jack Weaver came up with his stance, but do note that if you step away from handguns and look at rifle shooting, you shoot a kind of Weaver stance with a rifle. That appears to be natural. The advantage of the isosceles is that it locks up both arms, but it also presents a significantly larger target. In IPSC, where no one is shooting back at you, the isosceles seems to predominate. But that's a sport, and one should be careful about taking back lessons from sports.

One argument against the Weaver is that it is harder to transition to off-bore targets. But the opposing argument can be made that the isosceles tends to make you stationary so less likely to be moving so MORE likely to be a target. I know that in IPSC one DOES tend to stand and shoot, not move and shoot.

I personally mostly shoot isosceles, but that may just be bad habit. I probably ought to do some Weaver shooting just to stay flexible.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:54 pm