The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Doh! The "White" fell out of my Sight

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Doh!  The "White" fell out of my Sight Empty Doh! The "White" fell out of my Sight

Post by Cornmastah Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:54 pm

Was wondering what you guys do when the white paint stuff falls out of your 3-dot sights. My wife was shooting her Shield the day after Christmas and noticed that on the rear sight, the white paint fell out. Do you guys get some white-out and throw it in there? White paint? Replace the sights with something nicer?
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Doh!  The "White" fell out of my Sight Empty Re: Doh! The "White" fell out of my Sight

Post by Devereaux Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:00 pm

Heck, I HATE  the rear white stuff anyway. I usually put some black over them to dull it. I have used MNU, which is this black stuff that the Marines use to touch up their eagle, ball, and anchor emblems for inspections. I have a friend who uses model paints. Glossy white for the front sight (makes it kind of pop out nicely).

Have her shoot a while with blacked out rears and see if she actually finds it better. I do.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Doh!  The "White" fell out of my Sight Empty Re: Doh! The "White" fell out of my Sight

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:23 pm

I dislike the two white dots on the rear sight: too busy. They get magic markered out at the first opportunity. I use ultra-white glossy nail polish to refresh the front sight. It works really well.  

And yes, I'm the creepy old guy pouring over the nail polish in the teeny-bopper section, as the wife won't buy it for me.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:38 pm

Do you guys scrape out the existing dot? Or do you just paint black over it?
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:20 pm

If I don't drive out the sight and turn it around, just paint over it.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:59 pm

You guys have a recommendation on replacement sights for the Shield, in case I decide to go that route?
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:36 pm

I only replaced the rear. I got the 10-8 rear with the 0.156 aperture (the wider one). I REALLY like it!
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:38 am

I put Dawson Precision sights on my Glocks. They give a very sharp sight picture
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:26 pm

One of the things I like about the 10-8 sight is that the bottom of the sight notch is curved. It seems to draw the front sight dot right in better than the square bottom.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:59 pm

?So what did you do, Corn.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:59 pm

Nothing yet, lol... I've been too busy casting/loading lately that I haven't done anything with it. The last time we went shooting she did just fine with it how it is--it didn't bug her too much. I'm thinking of blacking out the other rear sight.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:26 am