The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Uh oh! Unplanned Gun Purchase... I mean, oh yay!

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Uh oh! Unplanned Gun Purchase...  I mean, oh yay! Empty Uh oh! Unplanned Gun Purchase... I mean, oh yay!

Post by Cornmastah Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:11 pm

Was at the local shop talking with the manager. He asked if there was anything I wanted to see in particular--I told him probably not since I had just bought the gp100 match champ revolver. He said, 'hold on a sec, brb.' He came back with a box from Ruger which wasn't even entered into their inventory system yet. I opened it up, and it had a new Ruger American rifle chambered in .300 blk with an FDE stock. They had only received one. The gun is pretty cool. It comes with a 16" threaded barrel with a 1/7 twist rate, and it includes a factory rail on top. It is light weight and feels good (for what it is). I ended up putting it on layaway and with the wife's permission I picked it up with my Christmas bonus money. Bought it for about $375. Took it home and threw a suppressor on it--looks great. Supposedly these little 300 blk Rugers shoot better than the Rem 700's out of the box. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, and I still need to mount some type of optics. Anyways, I guess another 300 blk rifle added to the collection--I love that little cartridge and so do the kids.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Uh oh! Unplanned Gun Purchase...  I mean, oh yay! Empty Re: Uh oh! Unplanned Gun Purchase... I mean, oh yay!

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:06 pm

Ahem.......

Uh oh! Unplanned Gun Purchase...  I mean, oh yay! 18410You_forgot_to_post_pictures_of_your_new_weapon_son_

Congrats!  

Really looking forward to your GP100 Match Champ range report.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Uh oh! Unplanned Gun Purchase...  I mean, oh yay! Empty Re: Uh oh! Unplanned Gun Purchase... I mean, oh yay!

Post by Cornmastah Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:40 pm

About that range report... I took the gp100 match champ shooting over thanksgiving and loved it. I will post a quick range report in the revolver section.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:33 am

Here it is, the unplanned, spontaneous gun purchase:

Uh oh! Unplanned Gun Purchase...  I mean, oh yay! Rugeramerican
    sorry about the crappy quality--I really should try taking the pictures outside during the day

Uh oh! Unplanned Gun Purchase...  I mean, oh yay! Rugerbarrel
    On the end of the barrel I mounted the SWR suppressor fast attachment brake

I am going to see if my boss will let me take wednesday off so I can go shooting with a friend who just got back from a deployment. If not, I will try going this saturday. I will give a range report afterwards. I still need to mount optics, but might just toss on a red dot for now.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:53 am

Verrah nice!
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:18 pm

I just need to figure out what optics to put on this rifle...
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:48 pm

I have a real thing for those 300 Blk bolt actions with short barrels. I am very jealous. Congratulations!
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:35 pm

My inner Scot got the best of me -- and I took advantage of Brownell's $50 per lower sale - several times. Had to amortize the shipping, FFL fees... Yah, I don't believe it either.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:55 pm

The real question is how do you NOT buy them when they are practically giving them away. Ha ha... CF, I foresee a .300 blk in your future!
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:42 pm

Cornmastah wrote:The real question is how do you NOT buy them when they are practically giving them away.  Ha ha...  CF, I foresee a .300 blk in your future!

Future Problems/ Possibilities:

• Light Weight Pink AR for the Wifey, or
    • 300 BLK, or
    • AR Pistol (Maybe/ Probably in 300 BLK) w/ SIG Forearm Stock, or
    • Justin Case

I'm seeing these as full builds; investing in the tools to build an upper, learning the skills.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:24 pm

Went shooting twice last week, but didn't get to take out the Ruger 300 Blk rifle yet. Still waiting on optics--and been too lazy to pull something off of a gun I already have sighted in. I ended up putting about 500 rounds through the GP100 match champ--really like it.

But yeah, CF, I think a 300 blk rifle would be a great addition to your "family." A 300 blk pistol would be a nice different kind of gun. I like mine.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:21 pm

Yeah, Corn, a 300 pistol is intriguing, especially suppressed. It may well be my first new build.

Did you buy your pistol upper complete? There's so much unique about the pistols: gas tube, porting, BCG, suppressor, etc; that I'm temped to buy a debugged system.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:25 pm

I did buy a complete upper. I ended up getting this one: http://www.advanced-armament.com/300-BLK-Upper-9-Barrel_p_461.html

It was not cheap, but it is very nice. It came with a nickel boron BCG and a nice little rail system. I think there are some complete quality uppers that can be had for some good prices these days. Also, a good website to check out is 300blktalk.com.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Mounted a scope last night, not sure if I will keep it like this or swap scopes.

Uh oh! Unplanned Gun Purchase...  I mean, oh yay! American300
    Vortex PST 1-4x
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:20 pm

Range report. Went shooting with it a little while back. Magazine needed a little "breaking in" before it would feed right. After forcing some rounds through it, about 15 or so, it started feeding just fine. The gun shoots well and held some tight groups. I still need to play around with it a little more and decide how I am going to use it (ie: supers or subs, cast or jacketed, short range or mid range).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm