The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
AChristianMarksman
Charlie Foxtrot
Cornmastah
7 posters

What is your next planned autoloader purchase?

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

What is your next planned autoloader purchase? Empty What is your next planned autoloader purchase?

Post by Cornmastah Wed May 28, 2014 4:56 pm

Just wondering which semi-auto handgun everyone was planning on buying next--doesn't have to be soon.
    Charlie Foxtrot
    Charlie Foxtrot
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

What is your next planned autoloader purchase? Empty Re: What is your next planned autoloader purchase?

Post by Charlie Foxtrot Wed May 28, 2014 5:12 pm

A CCW pistol.  M&P Shield, R51 (if Remington ever pulls their head out), M&P 9C, SR9C, G26,  etc... I'm going to look long and hard before making my decision.

[Edit:] ACM reminded me: I've got to look at that new Walther CCCP. I'll look even harder if they bring out a soft-shooting .40.

Last edited by Charlie Foxtrot on Wed May 28, 2014 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

What is your next planned autoloader purchase? Empty Re: What is your next planned autoloader purchase?

Post by Cornmastah Wed May 28, 2014 5:38 pm

For me, I'm thinking probably something large--maybe FNX45 Tactical or something similar. The FNX45 tactical has raised sights and a threaded barrel and is "suppressor ready." Probably a great match with my Octane45 suppressor. Not in a hurry at all though since the p220 works fine.
    AChristianMarksman
    AChristianMarksman
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by AChristianMarksman Wed May 28, 2014 6:48 pm

I am looking at the Walther PPQ m-2 and then the Sig 229 Enhanced Elite.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Fri May 30, 2014 11:54 am

I am leaning towards a gun for when I can't carry a gun. Like that Kel Tec P32 or Ruger LCP. Would be only for those very rare moments when a j frame is a little too big. Those moments don't come often, but when they do I would like something a bit more comforting than angry words and an ugly stare.
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:09 am

I'm looking at the small Kahr CM9 ~ hot summer days I tuck my .32 Tomcat in my pocket, average days it's the Model 60, colder weather it's the Beretta 92 (yeah I'm 6'2"/220 it's not that hard to hide) but looking for something better all-round and after listening to so many podcasts about safeties on carry guns I can see the wisdom...just need to shoot one~I've got big hands and fit is everything..
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:37 pm

While out doing errands I stopped in at Gander Mtn to hold a CM9~it sure it a little thing, probably want that extended mag since my pinky was hanging in the wind...but seems like it just might fit the bill....guy at work is asking 360, GM had a price near 500..yeah they're always high.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:14 pm

I'm not planning on buying ANY more guns. But SH. Like maybe a VP9
    betafu2
    betafu2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by betafu2 Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:56 pm

I have an order in for a Steyr M9-A1 to my local FFL .. I'm super psyched about it, I can't wait to shoot it! That's my next one.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:06 pm

Dang! I want to hear all about it when you get it. The way Grant raves about the Shhhh-teyer on the podcast makes me think it must be God's gift to the handgun world.
    betafu2
    betafu2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by betafu2 Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:42 pm

You got it!
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:43 pm

I ended up not going with the FNX45. I haven't purchased a semi-auto handgun in a while. Nothing seems to jump out at me lately as far as to handgun autos go. Revolvers, on the other hand--seems like I always see something I like.
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:31 am

Cornmastah wrote:I ended up not going with the FNX45.  I haven't purchased a semi-auto handgun in a while.  Nothing seems to jump out at me lately as far as to handgun autos go.  Revolvers, on the other hand--seems like I always see something I like.

Yeah that new S&W Model 69 L-frame .44 Magnum has my eye Shocked
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:28 am

MrJim wrote:
    Cornmastah wrote:I ended up not going with the FNX45.  I haven't purchased a semi-auto handgun in a while.  Nothing seems to jump out at me lately as far as to handgun autos go.  Revolvers, on the other hand--seems like I always see something I like.

So much for autoloaders ...
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:09 pm

Devereaux wrote:
    MrJim wrote:

So much for autoloaders ...

One of many reasons why I love this forum.

Just FYI, that 69 was tested by Brian Pearce in a recent edition of Handloader magazine. Seems like a good revolver.

The one thing that turned me off was that the barrel seemed to be a bit more prone to leading than a comparable 629 barrel. Pearce said he thought it might have to do with S&W's EDM barrel manufacturing process.

If you don't shoot a lot of lead bullets it might not make a difference to you. Or, if you do plan on shooting a lot of lead, you might want to plan on shooting a few hundred jacketed bullets through it first, or consider firelapping the barrel.

On the other hand, I have 2 S&W's with EDM barrels, and haven't experienced this leading phenomenon with those, so maybe it won't be an issue in the 69.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:48 pm

And if you DO have leading problems with any gun, get some [b][i]Chore Boy[/i][/b] (ONLY - the other pad have steel), wrap some in an old brush and the scrub the barrel. Takes the lead out really easily.

Last edited by Devereaux on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    betafu2
    betafu2
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

Post by betafu2 Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:49 pm

Man I want a wheel gun so bad. Must focus! Must focus on reloading and getting familiar with Steyr and new AR first!
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:01 pm

?How did the links get into my post. I didn't link to anything. ?How do I get them OUT.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:26 pm

Devereaux wrote:And if you DO have leading problems with any gun, get some Chore Boy (ONLY - the other pad have steel), wrap some in an old brush and the scrub the barrel. Takes the lead out really easily.

A trick that Dev and CF taught me quite some time ago, works like a charm. It works a lot better if the brush is a nylon brush, which I ALSO learned from these esteemed gentlemen.
    MrJim
    MrJim
    .38 Special
    .38 Special

Post by MrJim Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:39 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:
    Devereaux wrote:And if you DO have leading problems with any gun, get some Chore Boy (ONLY - the other pad have steel), wrap some in an old brush and the scrub the barrel. Takes the lead out really easily.

A trick that Dev and CF taught me quite some time ago, works like a charm.  It works a lot better if the brush is a nylon brush, which I ALSO learned from these esteemed gentlemen.

These are the copper scrubbers? I'll have to try this out, thanks!
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:58 pm

MrJim wrote:
    These are the copper scrubbers?  I'll have to try this out, thanks!

Yes, choreboy copper scour pads are found in most grocery stores in the cleaning supplies section. They work well for scraping out that stubborn lead in the barrel. I have found, however, that if you shoot cast lead bullets through your guns, you should NOT expect leading in your barrels. What I mean is that if you see lead in your barrel after shooting, you need to fix something with that load. By changing the alloy, sizing the bullets properly, changing the type of lube, changing the pressure of your load, or etc., you should be able to shoot cast bullets with NO leading. Anyways, off topic again, sorry...

I figure since I derailed this topic, I would try to put it back on the tracks. I went to the gun shop today during my lunch break and saw a Zastava M70a in 9mm. Anybody shot one of these before? For only $200, I was thinking of maybe picking one of these up just for the heck of it. You know, single stack 9mm's are all the rage these days.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:51 pm

Corn, you may be right about the lead, but in the mean while, you still have to get the lead out. And I am not sure you can build any load where you don't get the coating on the front of the cylinder - which this takes off also.

?Why would you buy a Zastava. ?Is that Russian or Croatian. Either way, it isn't 'Murican.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:03 pm

Devereaux wrote:?Why would you buy a Zastava. ?Is that Russian or Croatian. Either way, it isn't 'Murican.

Serbian, I think? I don't know, maybe because it is only $200ish, it's different, it is made of metal, it works, and it shoots cheap 9mm? Sometimes I get bored with all the striker fired guns. To me, they are all almost the same thing--with slightly different shapes/sizes/ergonomics. They are tools--I appreciate them as such and I choose to use them to carry and use for personal protection because they are GOOD tools. However, sometimes I'm in the mood for something different. Maybe that is why I like revolvers so much, or maybe not.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:09 pm

I know exactly what you mean. So much so that I find myself looking at CZ's, 1911's and Hi-Powers, just so I will own a semi-auto that's not striker fired.

But I always get over it, and go back to planning my next revolver purchase.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:15 pm

Jeez, TJ. You have a really neat Colt auto - if you are tired of it, I would be glad to take it off your hands.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:34 pm