The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Devereaux
Charlie Foxtrot
6 posters

Five Guns I'll NEVER Own

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Five Guns I'll NEVER Own - Page 2 Empty Re: Five Guns I'll NEVER Own

Post by Cornmastah Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:53 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:Of course.  And while I'm at it, the first time I take that cosmetically blemished Python to the range, the then-current Miss December is going to sidle up next to me, comment on what a he-man I am for having such a classic, and ask that I show her how to shoot it.

Why not, eh?
    NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Perhaps there's something to be said for context in the way that I think of the big autos. I think perhaps they aren't so bad if you just wanna bang away at informal targets, or go on an over night hunt, etc. Having said that, when I'm 80 miles from the nearest road, and 200 miles from the nearest hospital, and I'm in serious grizzly country hearing them in the brush at night and they're chasing caribou through the camp....I'm a pretty steadfast fan of my revolver.

When I was younger, my family was heading out camping on the river. We realized the boat was overloaded, so...I got dropped off on an island with nothing but 100 gallons of gasoline and a S&W 629 with six rounds. As soon as the boat left sight I realized there was a sow and cub wandering around just on the other side. The longer I watched that bear, the smaller that big N frame revolver got. When the boat came back for me a couple hours later, it seemed about as significant as a Co2 BB pistol. Funny how that works, but at least I knew I had them six little shots.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:29 pm

NotThe10thMan wrote:Perhaps there's something to be said for context in the way that I think of the big autos.  I think perhaps they aren't so bad if you just wanna bang away at informal targets, or go on an over night hunt, etc.  Having said that, when I'm 80 miles from the nearest road, and 200 miles from the nearest hospital, and I'm in serious grizzly country hearing them in the brush at night and they're chasing caribou through the camp....I'm a pretty steadfast fan of my revolver.

When I was younger, my family was heading out camping on the river.  We realized the boat was overloaded, so...I got dropped off on an island with nothing but 100 gallons of gasoline and a S&W 629 with six rounds.  As soon as the boat left sight I realized there was a sow and cub wandering around just on the other side.  The longer I watched that bear, the smaller that big N frame revolver got.  When the boat came back for me a couple hours later, it seemed about as significant as a Co2 BB pistol.  Funny how that works, but at least I knew I had them six little shots.

I like this. This episode was probably before the humongous S&W 500. I can only wonder just what it is like to shoot that monster. Not sure my wrists would take much of that. But then back when the Model 29 first came out (late 60's as I remember) that was pretty much considered to be a monster.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:03 am

Devereaux wrote:...I can only wonder just what it is like to shoot that monster. Not sure my wrists would take much of that...
    The 500 mag isn't too bad, at least with the longer barrel and the factory brake/comp, but it isn't one where you go out and blast through hundreds of rounds either. In that pumpkin video I posted last month, a lot of the shots were with the 500 mag (most of the others were with the 45-70 lever). The BFR in 45-70, however, is a little more beastly IMHO. It might be due to the fact that it has the old single action pistol style grips, whereas the 500 mag has the nice rubbery hogue grips. Anyways, I think if I lived up there in Alaska bear country, I would have a 500 mag in the holster. Sounds crazy up there.

FYI, if any of you guys ever make it down over here to Utah, you could try out some of the big magnums--they are sure to bring a smile to the face.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:33 pm