The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

What distance do you shoot when you shoot your bolt guns?

Poll

What distance do you practice with your bolt guns?

[ 3 ]
    What distance do you shoot when you shoot your bolt guns? Bar_left75%What distance do you shoot when you shoot your bolt guns? Bar_right [75%] 
    [ 0 ]
    What distance do you shoot when you shoot your bolt guns? Bar_left0%What distance do you shoot when you shoot your bolt guns? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    What distance do you shoot when you shoot your bolt guns? Bar_left0%What distance do you shoot when you shoot your bolt guns? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 1 ]
    What distance do you shoot when you shoot your bolt guns? Bar_left25%What distance do you shoot when you shoot your bolt guns? Bar_right [25%] 
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 4
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

What distance do you shoot when you shoot your bolt guns? Empty What distance do you shoot when you shoot your bolt guns?

Post by Cornmastah Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:31 pm

For those of you with bolt guns, whether they be hunting rifles or target rifles, what at what distance do you practice shooting?  I have recently found a new shooting area which allows me to shoot out to about 800 yards.  This has presented new challenges for me and has shown me what distances my guns are capable of.  I am not awesome, but I am getting a little better each time I go.  Previously I had only shot about 200-300 yards.  I was surprised at how much wind and gravity affects bullets over longer distances.
    sthwestvictoria
    .32 S&W
    .32 S&W

What distance do you shoot when you shoot your bolt guns? Empty Re: What distance do you shoot when you shoot your bolt guns?

Post by sthwestvictoria Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:35 am

For load development 100metres. Enough time for stabilisation without too much walking to change targets!
    For the very light cast bullet loads 50 metres.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

What distance do you shoot when you shoot your bolt guns? Empty Re: What distance do you shoot when you shoot your bolt guns?

Post by Devereaux Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:23 pm

sthwestvictoria wrote:For load development 100metres. Enough time for stabilisation without too much walking to change targets!
    For the very light cast bullet loads 50 metres.

What he says.

I have found that around here a 300 yd range is about all you can find. You seem to have to go to the waste lands to find anything longer. Within that distance, I have found you learn pretty much all you need to know at 100 yds, and it's a shorter walk to change the targets.

In ND I hunted prairie dogs. My rifle was good to 800 yds (longest kill was 825 yds). But since I was shooting a .204, I found that past that it went trans-sonic and was no longer reliable as to where it went. I would guess a heavier bullet would handle that better, but 33 gr doesn't give much resistance to being buffeted about by sonic booms. In the Marine Corps we only shot to 500 yds. But the snipers in WestPac shot to a lot longer than that. Indeed, they seemed to get nervous whenever the target got closer than about 800 yds unless they were with the whole platoon.

My other sense is that if you are going to shoot those kinds of distances you mention you need to shoot from some form of rest.
    NotThe10thMan
    .22 LR
    .22 LR

Post by NotThe10thMan Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:27 pm

I'm a 100 yard guy myself. I'm blind as a pig and shake like a dog passing peach seeds, so anything past that is just unfair to the rifle. If I'm shooting off a bench and keep it inside of an honest 2" at 100 yards, I call it good enough. I've a hunting buddy who has never been able to take a shot less than 300 yards. Everything I ever kill is typically within 75. This years caribou was less than 25 yards away, and shot with a .338 Win. Mag. It was strange having to hold so low.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:48 pm