The Gun Nation Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Ruger .30 carbine review

Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Ruger .30 carbine review Empty Ruger .30 carbine review

Post by Cornmastah Fri May 23, 2014 4:19 pm

I took my buddy "Tom Hudson" (not his real name) shooting and had him try out my .30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk a while back. He wrote a review about it: http://www.gunnews.com/ruger-blackhawk-30-carbine/ It is a fun revolver and very accurate.
    Doc Wesson
    Doc Wesson
    .500 Magnum

Ruger .30 carbine review Empty Re: Ruger .30 carbine review

Post by Doc Wesson Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:28 am

Very good info!
    The .30 carbine is a great cartridge. In a long gun it reacts like the .357 mag. It has gotten a somewhat bad rap as a battle rifle, but that is not fair as the comparison came to the M1 Garand. For medium to short distance, it performs great!
    An M1 Carbine and the Ruger wheel in the .30 would be a nice combo!
    .30 price and availability of course can be an issue. YET ANOTHER REASON TO RELOAD!
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:25 am

Very interesting. I've always been curious about the .30 Carbine in a revolver. What led you to that caliber?

Seems like it would be a great varmint and beer-can-ventilator gun, but I have zero experience with it.
    Devereaux
    Devereaux
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Devereaux Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:50 pm

Doc, the M1 Carbine got a bad rep when the NorKo's wouldn't drop when you hit them. But then, they were wearing the original version of the Michelen Man suit.

Truth to tell, the carbine was never intended to be a battle rifle. Instead, it was a carbine to be carried by officers and NCO's as a replacement (or addition - depended on what you wanted) to the 1911. In that framework, they work fine. Up close and personal they are just peachy. And they hold more rounds than a 1911.

Let us all remember that in the days of the old West, most shooters carried a Winchester in .44-40, the same round as they had in their revolvers. The actual distance one can accurately fire a round varies from guy to guy, but not many are willing to take a shot at a deer at 300+ yds, as an example. So anything you have needs to fit within your shooting distances. Corn lives out in the wilds; he may find such shooting will accommodate a .30-'06, but out here in the upper Midwest you don't find a lot of hunters (we're excluding those dudes who hit Abercromby & Fitch and buy a bazillion dollar "hunting rifle" for their first experience) who shoot big rounds. .30-30 is still the most famous round of all.
    Tennessee Jed
    Tennessee Jed
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Magnum

Post by Tennessee Jed Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:24 pm

I remember my father, a Navy corpsman in the early 1960's, telling the story about being deployed during the Cuban missle crisis. Said they gave him the choice of either a 1911 or an M1 Carbine. He didn't trust the .30 Carbine and chose the 1911. Fortunately, he had to turn it back in shortly threafter.

I think there is a separate caliber category in which the .30 Carbine might fit nicely. That category is for whacking varmints where a .22 might be too small, but a deer-sized caliber (30-30, 30-06, etc.) is too much. These are critters like Coyotes, Raccoons, maybe a large Possum, etc. I've been working on getting an old Marlin 1895 in 32-20 up and running for just such duty, but I'd bet a .30 Carbine would do well there, too.
    Cornmastah
    Cornmastah
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Magnum

Post by Cornmastah Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:10 pm

I found a used ruger .30 carbine blackhawk with wood grips for $330. If I didn't have one already, I would have bought it. I've been finding lots of good deals lately--good times for gun buying.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:33 pm